Bike Month Comes to Orange County
Every area celebrates Bike Month a little differently. In Orange County, a number of events are organized by the Orange County Transportation Authority, which means they include an emphasis on connecting your bike ride with the train.
The first thing to know is that you can ride Metrolink for free during Bike to Work Week when you bring your bike onboard. In Orange County, Bike to Work Week will take place from May 15 through 19. Other events that week include:
- Bike Rally on May 18. Meet at the Orange Metrolink station at 7:30 am on Thursday, May 18, for a slow-paced morning group ride. The ride will go through Old Town Orange and along the Santiago Creek Trail. Participants are encouraged to take Metrolink to the starting point, and there will be free Bike Month T-shirts available.
- Bike to School Day will take place on May 10. Parents and students are encouraged to ride to school. If your child goes to school in Orange County and you want to take part in Bike to School Day, email email@example.com to register your event.
- For adult and child bicycle safety tips, scroll to the bottom of the Bike Month page for some resources.
- Caltrans Bike to Work Day on Tuesday, May 16. Meet at 7:30 a.m. at the Caltrans District 12 office, 1750 E 4th St., Santa Ana, and ride as a group to the Tustin Metrolink Station. Then hop onboard Metrolink for a trip to the Santa Ana Regional Transit Center. Bike riders ride for free! From there, Caltrans employees will lead a bike tour and discussion of upcoming active transportation projects in downtown Santa Ana. The ride will conclude back at the District 12 offices.
- Ride of Silence on May 17. This is a a two-hour evening ride to commemorate those who have died as a result of traffic violence. There are multiple departure points, including Fullerton, Huntington Beach, Irvine, and Orange. Groups will gather at 6:30 p.m. for a 7 p.m. roll out. The ride is part of the National Ride of Silence, marked in many communities throughout the country.
What’s happening in your town to celebrate Bike Month? Let us know!